Lor Bak (Braised Pork with Eggs) is one of our favourite dishes and loved by all our guests.
You will need…
1 kg pork belly strips, cut into 1cm slices
6 – 8 eggs
6 – 8 shiitake mushrooms
Light soya sauce, 2 tbsp
Dark soya sauce, 2 tbsp
Garlic, 4 cloves, crushed and chopped
Ginger, one good-sized section, sliced thinly
Five spice, 1 tsp
What you need to do...
1. Prepare meat and marinate with soya sauces, salt, white pepper and sugar for 30 minutes.
2. Hard-boil eggs. Remove shells.
3. Soak dried mushrooms in boiled water. When softened, rinse until water runs clear.
4. Stir-fry spices… garlic, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, cloves and five spice.
5. Stir-fry meat, adding some sugar to caramelise meat.
6. Add water and eggs.
7. Simmer meat until tender, constantly turning ingredients for eggs to be coated brown evenly and for mushrooms to absorb flavours.
8. When the meat is cooked, taste the sauce. Add extra salt or dark soya sauce as required.
9. Serve with rice and Chinese vegetables.
Notes… We sometimes modify this dish with the addition of Tofu Puff or Quail Eggs. You can also use chilli but this is not authentic.